Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Memories

I have so many countless memories of this house and things that have happened in, around, and about it.It is my Oma & Opa's house and it's been around for over 50 years. My Opa literally built it with his own 2 hands (although I'm sure some friends and, eventually, my dad helped out as well over the years).

I know a lot of families say they're close, but we truly are SUCH a close family. There are 7 children (my dad and 6 sisters, poor pops), 16 grandchildren, 1 great-granchild and more on the way. With a family that big, you'd think people would start to go their separate ways over the years, start their own traditions, etc. Not so with us. We see them all every Christmas and Easter, of course. But birthdays, miscellaneous Sundays, anniversaries and just cuz dinners are certainly common.

My Opa passed away a little ove 4 years ago from the big C. Since then, we've all gotten to know my Oma just a little better, spending some one on one time with her really getting to know her as a person, not just as Ma or Oma. Many meals are still shared in this very house, and my Oma, a woman with so much loyalty, pride, dignity, class and love always politely refused to move. In fact, we had dinner there last night.

Sadly, however, it was a dinner following my Oma's funeral. She passed away to join Opa this past Thursday November 12th suddenly, although peacefully while visiting with her second born child.

It's been a rough weekend, seeing our parents, aunts, uncles and cousins deal with this sudden loss while dealing with it ourselves, however-it's also comforting to know that she's at peace and smooching Op's. She never had to see this house sold, she maintained an incredible amount of independence and activity until the day she died and she went quickly, peacefully and in the arms of loved ones. And...she got to avoid another lonely, brutal Canadian winter, which she's cursed in recent years. Above all, she knew she was loved beyond comprehension and her legacy lives on in the family that waits to see her again one day.


Love ya Om's!

No comments:

Post a Comment