Tuesday, July 21, 2009

the Sound of Music...

Nope, this isn't a review, comment or ramblings about the von Trapps.

It's about a new addition to our dining room:
It's been a busy few days getting ready for, hosting, and cleaning up after our first real house guests! Hubs' dad and stepmom came for a visit this weekend and a trip to Bluesfest to see Blue Rodeo (which was, as usual, fantastic). They've retired to their cottage in Quebec, so they don't come to "the city" too often, and it was nice to finally get to host them for a change.

They brought with them lots of hugs, stories and...a piano. Yes, I knew it was coming. Yes, I knew it was coming this weekend. Yes, I know hubs loves it and has been playing every free moment since we got it. Yes, it's a lovely heirloom from several generations of his past and it'll be great to have.

But for now, I don't know what to do with it.

There's so much wood in that room and there's not much of a budget to make too many changes (that I can think of).


Obviously, the first thing to do is reupholster the seat. C'est facile! Easy peasy. And of course, hang up some art work on the walls. Now that we have it, and once we determine the layout, we can finally do that, and that'll make a huge difference.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can lighten this space up?
(Besides not take photos at night?) Or how I can make it more interesting?

I'm thinking of re-recovering the dining chairs as well. Perhaps to match the piano bench? Yay or nay?

The dining table and chairs are actually from the same family and same original owner. About 5 years ago, hubs and I stripped it, routered the edges and stained it, as well as recovered the chairs for a huge improvement. Now it's pretty, sentimental and a little piece of history. Something I hope we can eventually work out with this piano.

So...ideas? Help. Please.
Edited to Add: Hmmm...I came across this post today. Coincidence???

No comments:

Post a Comment