Monday, June 8, 2009

My first sewing project

After I jumped right into sewing drapes for our house, I quickly realized that it's really not as easy as it seems. The basics are straightforward, but executing it nicely and in order for it to be remotely use able, I needed to practice a bit first. So I scratched off drapes and cut up the panel I'd hacked up made in order to try something a little simpler-pillow case.

The hardest part, I found, of making the drapes was the hem and sewing a straight line. With a pillow case, it's not such a big deal because as crappy as my sewing a straight line, I still got to turn it inside out and it more or less looked straight as long as you weren't completely incompetent. Basically idiot proof-jackpot.

So I made the pillow case and after getting frustrated trying to learn a slip stitch, or whatever you call it, to close it off and leaving it for a week without so much as a glance, I finally got down to it on Saturday. Also I'd bought a few buttons to attempt making them, thinking it couldn't be as easy as people make it out to be. Turns out-it's even easier. And, while acknowledging how lame it sounds, it's kinda fun to make them too.

Blah, blah, blah here's the finished product:

It's a little loosey-goosey since I'm still learning how to properly measure and properly use seam allowances or hems or whatever you call it.
Also, I still need to work on finishing the seams, but some of this is due to the frustration and doing a hack job on the ends. In the middle is my attempt at that hidden-stitch thingy.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with it as a first sewing project since grade 9 home ec class.
I'm thinking I'm still a while away from making any drapes though.


  1. I would say you did an excellent job for your first attempt! And I really like it with the brown chair pictured. THe loose-ness of it gives it a more comfortable, lived in vibe. :)

  2. Thanks! I don't really have any place for it yet, but that's besides the point :)