Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I heart my garage

I anticipate there may be a part 2 and further to this post.

I can't tell you how fantastic it is to have a garage after not having one for 3+ years. Especially during Ottawa winters.

It was one of the main criteria when we were looking for new homes, and although we may have preferred other features of other homes, most of the ones we liked (and could afford) only had single car garages. Instant vetoe.

So the past 7.5 weeks (has it really only been that long?) have been made all the better because of our wonderful little concrete haven.

It's been full of crap basically since we moved in; hardwood scraps, sawdust, carpet refuse, bottles to return, extra things we don't know what to do with yet, a snowblower (woohoo!) and the loads and loads of cardboard that typically accumulates when someone moves.

So last week, hubs and I decide it needs a bit of cleaning, so we remove some of the garbage, thank the recycling gods that it's paper week and give the concrete floor a good sweeping. It looks decent-I mean, it's a garage for heaven's sake, it doesn't need to look good.

Then last night, I came home to this:
FIL had dropped off an old work bench-thingy and tool storage unit that he didn't need at his shop anymore. It seems so simple, so basic and inconsequential, but it really will make a huge difference. It'll allow us to organize what we have and what we'll likely accumulate in the upcoming months. It'll also give us a starting point for down the road as hubs gets more tools and "man-things" like that.

It will also allow this
random corner of tools and construction-y stuff to be organized and relocated and allow us to move the desk to the basement to house hubs' keyboards.

If you know me at all, you know that I love organization. And now you can add this to your (dorky, embarassing) list: I love my garage too.

No comments:

Post a Comment